The IS Gets A New Wheel Bearing


 When I first started hearing a humming under heavy cornering I was a bit dissapointed in Toyota because I didn't expect a bearing going bad after just 140000 kilometres which the car had on the clock at that time.But as it turned out later it had more to do with the time the car had spent on this planet rather than the distance it traveled on it.



When repairing something I always try to use OEM parts, especially when its something like a wheel bearing, so I placed an order in Japan.


Getting genuine parts is always exciting but the JDM fanboy in me is jumping up and down everytime I get a package from the land of the rising sun. To bad I forgot to order a new brake dust cover since I knew the one on the car was a bit rusty.


I started the job pretty ambitious by laying out some tools and even printing out some torque specs from the digital repair manual.


After dealing with a super tight brake caliper bolt I was ready to take knuckle/hub assembly out. Remember it always pays off to have pipes in various dimensions lying in the garage you never know when you're going to need it. A good stock of WD40 doesn't hurt either.


Quite roomy in there now. Don't worry I cleaned all the WD40 remains from the fender liner before putting it all back together.


Now the fun continued on the workbench. Of course no carguy's garage is complete without at least one cool poster on the wall. I have one of a RWB built hachiroku.


Hmm I wonder why the bearing broke. The torx head bolts you can see here hold the brake dust cover on but the rust made it so that I could take it off even without loosening them.


Yeah thats the old axle seal (or what's left of it) compared to the new one. At this point I was in kind of a bad mood because I knew this would take longer than I expected to get finished.


And when my pipe bender couldn't manage to press the old bearing out I decided to call it a day. After all I'm working on cars for fun and the joy it brings so as long as I'm not in a hurry this is a good point to take a break. But I guess the little bumps in the road are all part of the fun.


Before leaving the garage though I made sure to get all the rusty crap off the knuckle to know what parts needed to be replaced.


While waiting for parts the next days I gave the reusable ones a fresh coat of paint as well as removing the inner bearing race from the hub by splitting it.


No more rust just shiny new paint. As everything had arrived I headed to a near by shop, paid to use their press


and came back with this. I have to say I'm really pleased with how it all came out. Now it was just a matter of bolting it all back in the car. Unfortunately I always take very few pictures during assembly because I get too impatient.


The car seemed to be happy to see daylight again after almost a week on jack stands.

Comments