Random Rally Car Encounter



Racecars in my opinion are the ultimate kind of cars they are much like the Super Heroes of the car world. Yesterday on my way home I took a little longer route and I'm very glad I did because otherwise I wouldn't have found this beautiful Group A Celica GT-Four ST185 Rally Car in front of a small unsuspicious shop.


I drove past this place many times in the past but when I spotted a guy working on this special Toyota, wearing the iconic Castrol livery, I had to stop and take a closer look. As far as I know the Toyota works rally cars were built by Toyota Team Europe or "TTE" at the time. The guy said it belonged to a friend of his and he's fixing some stuff on it. Thats why the alternator and parts of the induction system as well as the beautiful hood mounted lights were lying on the ground next to the car.


The ST185 was quite a important car for Toyota. When it debuted in WRC in 1992 Carlos Sainz won the WRC driver's championship in it and in the following two years it won the driver's as well as the manufacturer's championship. What made Toyota the first japanese manufacturer to win the WRC manufacturer's championship title in 1993. So it felt very special to see this piece from the golden era of Toyota's rally activities up close and personal.


It always brings me great joy to see cool cars out in the real world where they're being used the way they were meant to insted of seeing them vegetate in a museum.

Comments