New Spark Plugs


 Becuase I had a feeling that the stock iridium plugs had never been changed on the Lexus I decided it's time for new ones. 


Before ordering them I had a quick look in the owners manual which recommended Denso PK20TR11 or NGKs which I dont remeber the exact name of right now.


I choose the Denso ones and when they arrived it was time to open the hood. There should actually be an engine somewhere underneath the plastic.


After removing some stuff we can see the crazy narrow valve cover of the 1G-FE how did they manage to fit two camshafts in there. Apparently the narrow valve angle makes it more fuel efficient than the more performance oriented  "-G.." labeled Toyota engines.


When the six ignition coils were removed I finally got a look at the old spark plugs. The car came from the factory with a set of SK20R11 Denso Iridium plugs interestingly the ones the owners manual recommends are platinum plugs with a twin tip design. At first I didn't know what to think of that but the car is running fine with them and the specs are the same so I guess they are alright.


Everything back together minus the plastic cover that goes over the vvt-i mechanism and runs along the side of the valve cover.


I could crumble it just by touching it. I guess thats because it's relatively close to the exhaust. But I don't mind leaving a piece like that out at all. This thing has zero purpose to me.


Ready for a testdrive. I really should take some pictures of the car on the road instead of in the garage.

Comments